Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Maxed-out NBA Contracts....

This post is a continuation of my 'franchise player' tag thought process. It amazes me how stupid some team owners are. If I was a team owner, I would only give a player I considered to be a franchise player a maxed-out contract. Someone who is worthy of this statement: "This is a player who we can build our team around. Someone who will make the other players around him better. Someone who will be the face of this franchise for many years to come."

Players like Jason Kidd. Kevin Garnett. Jermaine Oneal. Shaquille Oneal. NOT Kenyon Martin. When the Nets initially traded Kmart to the Nuggets for a few draft picks, I wasn't happy. He was a key part to the team. It was a huge emotional loss to the team. But now that it's 4 months later, I realize (with a clear head) that it was definitely the right thing to do. Kenyon Martin is definitely not a 'franchise player'. I'm not trying to playa hate here, but let's be honest. Kenyon Martin is a good player. But not in the upper echelon of NBA superstars.

1 Comments:

At 7:42 PM, Blogger Max said...

I don't think there should be a maximum salary on each player. I say, if a guy wants to be selfish and not sign for less than x amount of dollars, and consequently screwing over his team, I say, caveat emptor, pal.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home