Tuesday, January 18, 2005

"Franchise Player"...

I don't follow the NFL that closely to know what the term 'franchise player' means. I was reading an article about the Jets and their off-season plans. They had listed all of their restricted and unrestricted free agents. John Abraham is listed as an unrestricted free agent and that the Jets are going to tag him a franchise player so that they can hold on to him.

From what I understand the difference between a restricted and unrestricted is that the unrestricted player can court offers from any team in the league and when he gets an offer he likes, he can sign the contract and he is then a member of said team. With a restricted free agent, the Jets have the right to match whatever offer a player gets in order to keep him.

So what is a 'franchise player' and how does that tag work? I have to admit I'm too lazy to research it and look up the definition.

All of this talk of 'franchise player' has got me thinking about maxed-out contracts in the NBA. See next post....

1 Comments:

At 5:46 PM, Blogger ChuckJerry said...

I don't know that much more than you and I am also too lay to research it, but here is what I know.

If you "franchise" a guy, then he gets a one year contract for the amount of money that equals the average of the top 5 contracts for other guys at that same position.

If the Jets franchise Abraham, then they take the top 5 highest salaries for defensive ends, and then that's his salary.

Here's the part I'm not sure about. I think it's a one year contract, after which he's an unrestricted free agent.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home