Wednesday, July 27, 2005

One Man's Trash Is Another Man's Treasure....

Bricks.

In Bergenfield, the Tuesday night before the monthly bulk day (4th Wednesday of every month) is a big deal. You can throw out anything you want on bulk day. Refridgerators, furniture, doors, toys, wood, etc. There are people who drive around town in their pickups and look for hidden gems sitting at the curb waiting for the trashmen to pick them up the next day. Over the 4 years I've lived in Bergenfield, I've come to recognize the regulars. Yesterday was a new one for me. I was outside watering the flowers and I see a car slowing down, then it backs up, goes forward again, and finally stops. Inside were a man, woman, and two kids. The man then got out of the driver side. I figured he was going to ask for directions or something. That's a pretty common occurance on our block, since people confuse our blocks often (Glenwood Drive East, North, & South). Nope. He wanted my bricks. I am in the beginning stages of building a shed between my garage and fence. In order to do so, I need to clean out the space with all the junk that was there when I moved in and that has accumulated since that time also. There were approximately 75 bricks like the one pictured above that I had put out for bulk day. And this guy wanted them. I had no use for them, so of course told him to take what ever he wanted. I finished watering the flowers in the front and back yards and put away the hose. The guy was still loading the bricks into the trunk of his Toyota Camry. Needless to say, he drove away with his back bumper almost touching the ground.

2 Comments:

At 12:27 PM, Blogger Max said...

I like bricks.

 
At 11:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bricks are cool...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home