Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Cablevision Customer Service....

A little over a month ago, my wife and I had cable tv installed for my grandmother in Brooklyn. She would always complain about the reception she got (or didn't get) and after replacing all the connections to the roof-top antenna without getting better reception, she caved in to the pressure and agreed to have Cablevision come in and install cable tv. All she wanted was to get the channels that were readily available (although very grainy and snowy) via a set-top antenna, but to save roughly 30 bucks on the installation charge we opted to go with their promotional package they offered at the time. The catch was that I had to wait 1 full month before downgrading to the "broadcast basic" package otherwise I would have been charged the full amount for the installation. Today I called Cablevision to downgrade to the "broadcas package". (Note: From my previous phone call to Cablevision inquiring about service in the area, I learned that in Brooklyn the cable signal is scrambled and you need a box for each tv)

after being transferred around....
Customer Service Rep: "Thank you for calling Cablevision, this is XXXXXX. How may I help you?"
Me: "Hi. I want to downgrade my programming package."
Rep: "OK. Can I have the home telephone number including the area code?"
Me: "718-XXX-XXXX."
Rep: "OK. How can I help?"
Me: "I'd like to downgrade to 'Broadcast Basic'."
Rep: "OK. Do you want to keep the cable boxes or turn them in?"
Me: "Don't you need those to receive a picture?"
Rep: "Oh yeah."
Me: "Then I guess I'll keep the boxes."

2 Comments:

At 9:24 AM, Blogger The Notorious LJT said...

i live in manhattan but in my room i don't pay for cable or anything but when i plug my tv into the cable jack i get cable-reception-picture for the broadcast channels as well as tbs, tnt and even starz i think.

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Matt Dabney said...

That's weird. Sounds like your apartment still has a live cable feed but only the channels that don't require a box to descramble them are coming thru.

Is it your whole apartment that gets the same channels?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home