Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Milk Shower....

Playtex has these wonderful bottles available in their VentAire line.

With its unique bubble free bottom vent disc, the 2001 AMBY Award* winning
Playtex® VentAire® Bubble Free Bottle System offers virtually bubble free
feeding for baby. Less air means less gas and spitting up for baby, keeping baby
more comfortable.

For those of you not familiar with bottle feeding a baby, if a baby sucks in too much air it will usually give them gas and often causes them to spit up. The VentAire bottle prevents that from happening by preventing the baby from sucking in air. If you take a look at the picture, you'll see a green ring at top where the nipple is attached. There is also a green portion at the bottom. That bottom piece has small holes in it and has a piece of rubber in it. As the baby sucks on the nipple, air is drawn in through the bottom holes to replace the volume of liquid that is drawn out of the bottle. The piece of rubber then returns to it's position to prevent the liquid escaping when the baby stops sucking. A neat piece of baby paraphanelia. Now on to the meat of the story...

As I mentioned earlier, the bottom piece is removable so you can clean it. I have never taken the bottom off when putting the bottle in the dishwasher to be washed. My wife takes it off often because one of our other VentAire bottles had gotten some water trapped in the bottom piece and mold had formed. Yuck. But like I said, I have never taken the bottom off.

Sunday night, I was getting the kids' stuff ready for daycare the next day. Filling up their cups with milk and filling up Alexis' bottles with milk. So I take a bottle out of the dishwasher and fill it with milk then put in on the counter. I pick up the next bottle from the top rack and fill it with milk then place it on the counter next to the other one. All the while, Alexis is standing beside me watching what I'm doing. The next bottle I pick up is the VentAire bottle. Unbeknownst to me the bottom was removed prior to being put in the dishwasher. I take the bottle out and hold it about waist level as I pour the milk in from the gallon jug. As you can see from the picture, the bottle has a small bend in it. So as I was holding it so that the top portion was straight up and down, the bottom portion was angled slightly. Alexis is standing next to me looking up at what I was doing with the bottom of the bottle pointed straight at her. Yup - you guessed it. I poured the milk into the bottom and it went into the opening at the top of the bottle, straight down the tube and right in to Alexis' face, covering her in milk. She stood there stunned for 3 seconds before starting to cry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home