Thursday, March 24, 2005

Tsk, Tsk....

If anyone who is reading this was at the toll booth at exit/entrance 15W on the New Jersey Turnpike yesterday at approximately 5:00 pm, yes, that was me making an illegal U-turn at the toll booth.

I was on my way down to Rutgers to go to my night class when Jennie called me to tell me that the school had called to say class was cancelled. I had already been on the road for 1/2 an hour, which on a normal night would have put me around exit 12 or further, and I had just gotten through the toll booth to enter the turnpike. (side note: for those of you not familiar with the turnpike, a little info: before and after every toll plaza, there is about 100 feet between the tolls and the continuous concrete median where orange cones act as the divider. Albeit illegal, it's very easy to make a u-turn at that point - granted there are no cars in the way.) I was literally 10 feet past my opportunity at the toll plaza when I got the call. So I had to wait until the next exit to attempt my daring maneuver. For those of you who know me might find this next statement to be a shock to them. I was disappointed that class was cancelled. I look forward to going every week. So I took the next exit and before paying the toll, I turned the car around and headed back north. So, after sitting in the car for 45 minutes in traffic, it took me 15 minutes to get back to where I started from.

One question:
I entered the turnpike at 18E and exited at 18W. What, if any, charge will show up on my E-ZPass statement?

UPDATE
According to the New Jersey Turnpike toll calculator if you enter at 18E and exit at 18W, it's a charge of $0.00. But according to me EZPass account I was charged $5.45. For that evening. I guess they couldn't charge me zero dollars for using the turnpike so instead they charged me the maximum amount for EZPass during peak hours. Bummer :-(

2 Comments:

At 4:51 PM, Blogger ChuckJerry said...

If you paid the toll going North, you may get a ticket instead of a toll because you made an illegal turn.

If you paid going South, you will probably just get the minimum toll amount. I don't know what it is. It's won't be zero, though.

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Matt Dabney said...

A handy tool. Go to
http://www.state.nj.us/turnpike/nj-vcenter-tollrates.htm
and you can enter your starting point and end point and it will tell you how much your toll will be.

According to the results, I travelled 0.0 miles and my toll was $0.00

 

Post a Comment

<< Home