Thursday, August 18, 2005

My Hat Goes Off To Jerome Williams....

Jerome Williams was waived by the Knicks this week under the "Allan Houston" amnesty rule. He essentianly was released of all his duties while still getting the remaining 19 million left on his contract. As opposed to the other 17 players released in the NBA who are signing with new teams, he decided to retire so he could continue to work on the youth programs he set up recently in New York.

"I'm still getting paid by the Knicks," he said. "I'm feeling a little obligated to not only carry out what I promised to those kids, but also still working for my money."
Through his foundation, the J.Y.D. Project, and with support from the Knicks, Williams and his brother Johnnie have put on a number of motivational events urging youngsters of all ages to stay in school, devote themselves to their studies and prepare for college. They have so far taken their message through Brooklyn, the Bronx, Yonkers and Harlem.
"I told a lot of kids I was going to be back," Williams said.

Jerome is one of those athletes that not only talks the talk, but walks the walk.

He should be the one in the headlines, not some selfish wide receiver with a multi-million dollar contract crying for more money.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home